The world is changing and with change comes new work practices. For this reason, in this article we have prepared the best tips on which digital platforms to use to do video job interviews.
After the pandemic caused by Covid-19, the ways of working have been modified. One of the main changes is telecommuting, remote work or home office. This new practice, which some companies had previously used with their workers for one day a week or a couple of days a month, is here to stay.
It is for the above that job interviews have also changed their forms and now it is common to do job interviews through digital platforms. We have a list of options for you.
1- Skype: Video job interview via Skype
Skype is one of the most used platforms for online job interviews. This tool allows you to establish quality communication. Sometimes recruiters ask for the interview to be by audio call, others by video call, in both cases Skype is a good option.
To conduct a video job interview on Skype you only need to download the application. Register for free, manage your profile with a username and a photograph and that’s it.
One of the advantages of Skype is that there is no time limit for making calls, so you can take as long as you need.
In case the interview requires two recruiters who are in different places, they can connect to interview you, Skype accepts up to 50 people connected in a video call.
2- Zoom: Video job interview by Zoom
Before the Covid-19 pandemic, the Zoom application was little known by digital users, since the global health crisis, it has become extremely relevant.
Now Zoom is the most used platform worldwide to make video calls.
The system that this digital platform has has no flaws, which is why it has become the favorite of so many people. For this reason, many recruiters have decided to use Zoom to do job interviews by video call.
For your Zoom interview to be successful, we recommend:
- Put your name and surname as user.
- Connect your computer, computer or mobile phone to an electrical current, in this way, the interview will not be cut off due to lack of battery.
- Facing a plain background with light that illuminates your face, sitting against the light is a bad idea because it will obscure your face and the interviewers will not be able to see you.
- Choose formal casual clothing, even though it is only visible from the torso up, it is important that you choose the correct clothing, in case you have to get up for anything.
- Have your resume at hand, preferably print it, so you can have it without having to minimize the zoom window.
3- Google: Job Interview with Hangouts
Google has a messaging service that allows you to perform different functions, one of them is video calls. The platform is called Hangouts and is used by Google+ users. One of the main advantages of this app is the ease with which it can be accessed and the high number of users worldwide.
If your job interview will be through Hangouts, you must follow these steps:
- Create a Google account.
- Download the application on your smartphone if you are going to do it there, or familiarize yourself with the platform from your computer or computer.
- Prepare your clothing, try to be casual-formal.
- Choose a clear background and a pair of headphones with a built-in microphone so the interviewers can hear you clearly.
4- WhatsApp: How to do a job interview by WhatsApp
If all of the above fails, we will always have WhatsApp. This digital messaging service can be the savior if the platforms that we previously recommended do not work. The good thing about WhatsApp is that you can send text messages, audio messages and make video calls. It has everything you need to conduct a job interview.
For your WhatsApp job interview to be successful, we recommend you follow these steps:
- Choose a formal profile photo, we know that you usually use WhatsApp personally, with family and friends, but if you will carry out your job interview through this means, the best thing you can do is put a professional photograph, or choose something else neutral like a landscape or something related to your profession.
- Place the phone on a tripod or on a stand that allows you to have your hands free, in this way, you will avoid constantly moving the camera, since the movements can tire the interviewer and detract from the professionalism of the interview.
- Make sure you have your phone with a full battery, as well as having the charger near you, in case it needs to be connected so you don’t miss the video call.